Palestine suffers injustice, and oppression, and apartheid more than ever before. Torn into pieces, settlements scattering it all, the Holy Land is assaulted and its people massacred and discriminated while the whole political world is watching, turning blind to Israel’s violations of human rights and international laws toward the Palestinians.
As you all know, we are approaching the 2nd anniversary of the offensive on Gaza by the Israeli Occupation Forces, a massacre among others perpetrated against the Palestinian people. During 22 days in 2008-2009, more than 1,400 Palestinians were slaughtered, over a third of them were children and women.
Many initiatives aimed to break the siege imposed by Israel since Hamas took over the Strip in 2006, one of which resulted in the assassination of 9 peace activists in international waters on last May, when Israeli Navy assaulted the Mavi Marmara. Since then, a blockade ease has been demanded by the international community, in vain, as Gaza still lacks medicines, basic food and electricity, and is daily bombed by Israeli F16s.
We, citizens of the world, demand more than just an ease. We, citizens of the world, demand freedom for all Gazans, freedom of movement, freedom of exportation and importation, we demand the complete lift of that inhuman siege, claiming more lives day after day. Till when will the Palestinians of Gaza suffer power shortage? Till when will the patients bear the lack of medicines? Till when will the children of Gaza wake up and sleep to the sound of aircrafts? When will the Strip live on its own agriculture, and stop being dependent from the humanitarian convoys?
There is a real awakening, we can all feel it from the multiplication of convoys and flotillas, from the wave of recognition of Palestine as a State by other countries, from the NGOs’ calls denouncing the misery Israel keeps Gaza in. And this is because the information is being spread better and better.
Hence, we decided to launch an online campaign officially starting on December, 27th 2010 to raise awareness and mark the massacre’s 2nd anniversary. The principle is simple:
- On Twitter, post/repost all the tweets concerning Gaza with the #Gaza2 hashtag. It can be links, news, facts, personal statements. Join here the #Gaza2 Campaigners twitter list and follow those in that group to be able to have a great variety of links to share and create a wide network. You can also click here for a real time feed of every mention of #Gaza2 on Twitter.
- On Facebook, same principle. Post and repost the links you can find on Gaza. The aim, again, is to raise awareness.
Here is a partner blog where you will find links/facts/stats about Gaza that you can share during the campaign; save, use and abuse Never Cast Lead Again
- Add the Siege Counter to your blog/website:
- Use the following picture in your different social media accounts as profile picture:
- Share this link to your contacts in order to get as many people as possible involved.
The best is that till the 27th, you spread the link as much as possible, and start using the hashtag #Gaza2 on the 27th. If you have any suggestion, if you want to translate this page in your language, please post a comment or send us an email at vepalestine[at]gmail.com.
Break The Siege Team
Click here for:
- German translation (by Sofia)
- Dutch translation (by Hajar)
- French translation (by Zaynab)
- Danish Translation(by Michael)